Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Bay Area is a dynamic mentoring agency that provides Bay Area youth with professionally supported one-to-one mentoring relationships. The Development Associate is responsible for providing direct-line fundraising support for the development team. Responsibilities will include assisting the team with donor appeals, implementing the standard touchpoints for donors at all levels, agency fundraising, special event project management and execution, and third-party events. Provides high-level administrative support to the department: associate board and committee meeting minutes, salesforce data entry, gift processing and accurate and manages all in-kind donations.
Reports directly to the Development Manager of Annual Funds and Operations, and works in close collaboration with the development team and other key internal and external stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide support for solicitation and stewardship of individual and corporate donors, directly contributing to the development teams annual revenue of $3M+.
- Supports all mass appeal activities including planning and implementing direct mail for donors at all levels and other campaigns as appropriate.
- Manages a personal portfolio of annual fund donors, ensuring personal touchpoints and annual solicitation.
- Implement stewardship program for all donors as well as capturing donors who would benefit from additional stewardship opportunities to development staff for use with leadership and major donors.
- Participate in major gift strategy sessions for past and current major gift donors, helping the development team identify and implement strategic stewardship and cultivation opportunities, as well as working with a pool of prospective donors.
Manage in-kind gifts program and process for the agency.
- Manage day-to-day operation of the in-kind program, including identifying agency needs and forming and maintaining partnerships with in-kind donors.
- Exercises discretion regarding acceptance and/or disposition of donated goods and maintains donor relationships through attentive customer service.
- Complete donation paperwork and in-kind gift entry in Salesforce.
- Facilitate logistics related to the delivery of donations and distribution.
- Maintains inventory and updates the Development team on needs and available resources.
Support and project manage the execution of annual fundraising events and third-party fundraisers.
- Provide support for all events, creating a system to keep team members and stakeholders updated and to assign tasks and roles as needed. Synthesize event information and present it accurately, acting as the main knowledge base for events.
- Event administrative tasks including document production, tracking status and delivery of in-kind auction items, creating item descriptions, managing RSVPs, fundraising teams, and guest meal choices.
- Provide logistical support on event days/nights, including leading a small team of volunteers.
- Leverage organizational tools for events and donor management including Salesforce CRM, website, Qgiv or other event/auction platforms. Act as champion for understanding platforms and training staff as needed.
- Act as liaison to third party fundraisers, proactively ensuring partners have all necessary information and strategically working to transition donor relationships to the agency.
Provide administrative support to the development team to reach the department’s fundraising goals.
- Work in the Salesforce database, tools, and integrations that relate to fundraising. Act as an internal champion for data-driven fundraising, using Salesforce database to log all activity and move prospects and donors through the pipeline.
- Primary person for gift processing acknowledgement process and implementing standard touchpoints for donors at all levels, leveraging salesforce and other technology.
- Support the development team with preparation of materials, and agenda for meetings. Includes confirmation of attendance, meeting logistics, and follow-up as needed.
- Provide administrative support including meeting minutes for affiliate groups that support the development team including Associate Board, Development Committee, and event committees.
Support the collaboration, procedures and high-level administrative tasks to contribute to overall department and organizational goals.
- Work collaboratively and strategically with the fundraising, marketing, program and partnerships staff and teams and agency leadership to increase revenue and resources for organizational priorities, including other duties as assigned.
- Nurture justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI) practices with donors, youth, families, volunteers, and staff.
- Support and leverage agency special events to cultivate donors in the pipeline and introduce new prospects to the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience
- 2 or more years of professional related experience in the nonprofit sector
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Attention to detail with strong customer service and follow-through skills.
- Experience with event planning and/or fundraising is highly preferred.
- Experience with donor CRMs, Salesforce experience strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with Google Suite tools
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully on the phone, via email/text, and in-person with donors, board members, volunteers, staff, and the public
- Ability to think strategically and execute tactically
- Experience in project management
- Ability to multi-task, efficiently manage priority action items, and take the initiative to fill in the gaps.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail.
This is a permanent, full-time hybrid role based out of our Oakland office, with a great benefits package including health, vision and dental, flexible daytime hours, and occasional evening and weekend hours.
In your cover letter, please share any connection you have to Big Brothers Big Sisters, why you are interested in this position, and share your experiences working with diverse communities.
Due to the high volume of responses anticipated, we will only respond to candidates who are under consideration. No phone calls, please. BBBS of the Bay Area is an equal opportunity employer.
Location: Oakland, CA.
Reports to: Development Director
Number of People Supervised: 0
Salary: $50,000 – 65,000 Depending on Experience
Equal Employment Opportunity
BBBSBA provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap or disability.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties & responsibilities of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBSA may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you would be a terrific addition to our team. Please include Development Associate in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
***Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered***