INDIVIDUAL PHILANTHROPY MANAGER
About Development at BBBSBA:
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Bay Area is the preeminent youth mentorship organization serving all nine counties in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. We are currently seeking an Individual Philanthropy Manager to join a collaborative 3-person fundraising team raising $3M+ in FY23. This is an exciting juncture for the agency: we are a woman of color-led nonprofit organization prepared to embark on a $5M+ capacity building campaign to grow both the breadth and depth of our evidence-based programs for youth who can benefit from the transformational power of one-to-one mentorship. We are excited to add this critical, highly external role to our team of passionate and dedicated fundraisers at a time when the demand for mentorship and for our program is significant from youth, parents and schools.
Responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of gifts from donors and prospects with a capacity to give $5,000 or more. The Individual Philanthropy Manager is a highly energetic and external-facing professional with a track record of establishing and growing strong donor relationships and closing gifts up to the six-figure range. Responsibilities will include campaign management and developing and managing a portfolio of assigned and identified donors through a strategic moves management process, leading them on a donor journey to maximize their lifetime value. Reports directly to the VP of Development and works in close collaboration with development and leadership team members, a 30-person Board of Directors and other key stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities in Priority Order:
Portfolio management of high net-worth individual donors 5k+, directly contributing to $1M+ in revenue
- Build pipeline, identify and manage a portfolio of approximately 100 individual donors and prospects with focus on securing annual gifts in the $5,000+ range with an emphasis on face-to-face cultivation and solicitation meetings.
- Meet monthly and annual KPIs for major gifts including number of donor touchpoints (calls, emails, reports), number of face-to-face meetings, solicitations, and new prospects identified. Provide donor contact, call, and visit reports for leadership quarterly.
- Create and execute tailored stewardship plans for each donor and prospect in the portfolio, using moves management best practices to strengthen relationships, retain donors, and increase support over time.
- Strategically generate, create and analyze fundraising data and reports to drive donor engagement and solicitation. Be accountable and responsible for results in fundraising for the donors in the portfolio, specifically increasing non-event individual giving to $1M in FY23, with incremental growth in future years.
- Work in tandem with leadership to support Board Member fundraising efforts and activities, including project management of Board Member gift intention plans. Attend and prepare for monthly development committee and other meetings and advise on agency needs and priorities.
- Develop and execute the agency’s Planned Giving Strategy.
- Proactively identify new prospects to add to the portfolio, executing data-driven prospect research and thorough briefs and meeting agendas.
Support the collaboration, procedures and high-level administrative tasks to contribute to overall department and organizational goals
- Work collaboratively and strategically with the fundraising, marketing, program and partnerships staff and teams and agency leadership to increase revenue and resources for organizational priorities, including other duties as assigned.
- Nurture justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI) practices with donors, youth, families, volunteers, and staff.
- Support and leverage agency special events to cultivate donors in the pipeline and introduce new prospects to the organization.
- Create, update and improve written documents and materials to drive the major gifts program and facilitate solicitations including: donor decks and presentations, written updates, website copy and other documents as needed. Develop personalized materials that align with donor goals and objectives, working with the program team to access information and develop cases for support.
- Act as an internal champion for data-driven fundraising, using Salesforce database to log all activity and move prospects and donors through the pipeline.
Project management of three-year $5M+ Capacity Building Campaign
- Grow and manage a Campaign committee of the Board to provide thought partnership and leadership on the Campaign, setting meetings, agendas and follow-through on directives.
- Create Campaign related prospect lists, materials and track Campaign progress in Salesforce and dashboards as-needed to keep staff and leadership informed of progress.
- Actively participate in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of Campaign donors.
- Provide project management of the Campaign, ensuring meetings are scheduled with relevant staff and board members, agendas and briefs are prepared in advance and that all stakeholders have the resources they need to successfully solicit Campaign gifts.
- Develop a thoughtful stewardship and recognition plan for Campaign donors to keep them informed and apprised of agency progress toward goals and engaged beyond Campaign fundraising years.
Location: Bay Area, CA.
Reports to: Vice President of Development
Number of People Supervised: 0
Salary: $65,000-95,000 Depending on Experience
(minimum & preferred educational requirements necessary to perform this job successfully)
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
Years of Related Work Experience:
(minimum & preferred related work experience necessary perform this job successfully)
5 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the nonprofit or comparable sector and a minimum of 3 years specifically in nonprofit fundraising/development/communications.
Work Skills and Knowledge:
- A proven track record of making successful solicitations of individual donors and a proven appetite for a highly external role
- Comfort and experience soliciting 5-figure or above gifts.
- Experience with 7-figure fundraising campaigns strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel locally up to 40% of the work week throughout the greater San Francisco Bay Area or as-needed for donor meetings.
- Experience with donor CRMs, Salesforce experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully on the phone, via email/text, and in-person with donors, board members, volunteers, staff, and the public
- Ability to think strategically and execute tactically
- Experience in project management and data analysis
- Prospect research and qualification experience
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BBBSBA provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap or disability.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties & responsibilities of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBSA may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you would be a terrific addition to our team. Please include Director of Development, Individual Giving in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
***Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered***